On the consumption and creation of media.
TV * MOVIES * VIDEO GAMES * BOOKS * MUSIC * IMAGES

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

New Shows on Sci-Fi Channel: Updated Opinions

A couple of weeks ago I posted my views on the new Sci-Fi Shows that would be airing soon. After seeing episodes from most of the shows, here are my updated opinions:

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace
Not much more to say about this since the episode that aired was already available online. I still have high hopes for the rest of this unique series.

Dead Like Me
I'm still watching this show every Tuesday at 7pm. Very funny and entertaining even if the pace of the episodes sometimes feels uneven. It originally aired on Showtime and its obvious that a lot of content is censored. I'm hoping that they're only censoring words and not cutting out sections of the episodes.

Eureka
This has been a major disappointment. Although I've seen mixed opinions online, I just don't find the show compelling enough stay tuned after watching two hours of Dead Like Me. The impression I get is that it's just an amalgam of every sci-fi cliche in the book.

Who Wants to be a Superhero?
As far as Eureka fell from my expectations, Superhero far and away exceeded them. I really thought this was going to a lame excuse to get Stan Lee to appear on a Sci-Fi show but it has actually been very entertaining. It's refreshing to see a reality show that attempts to stress qualities such as integrity and compassion rather than deception, even though the producers used quite a bit of trickery to eliminate the first two superheroes. Major Victory seems to be the one to watch - his attitude is absolutely perfect for this show, and the segment where he rescues the little girl in the first episode is priceless (watch the whole first episode on scifi.com). What I don't like about him is the fact that he is basically superman without the weakness of Kryptonite. The winner of the show gets their character's comic book created by Stan Lee and also their own original Sci-Fi movie. This opportunity for a movie is more intriguing to me than the comic book - if Major Victory wins it would be great if they let him star as the character in his movie.

Night Stalker
Although I somewhat enjoyed the premiere episode, I felt too disconnected from the title character to really get into the series. It seems like almost the entire episode was told from points of view other than Kolchak's, which just felt very odd. I will probably watch one more episode to see if it's worth it to keep watching, but I don't have my hopes up.

Other shows:
The Lost Room, The Dresden Files, The Amazing Screw-On Head
If I find any more information on this shows I'll be sure to post it here.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home