On the consumption and creation of media.
TV * MOVIES * VIDEO GAMES * BOOKS * MUSIC * IMAGES

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

New Shows on the Sci-Fi Channel

The Sci-Fi Channel has quite a few new shows that have recently premiered or will premiere in the coming months. Here are my views on these series, ranked from most anticipated to least.

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace - first episode available online, premieres July 27
After watching the opening episode on Sci-Fi's web site, this parody of horror movies and 80s television is definitely the show that I'm looking forward to the most. A British comedy that lasted one season in 2004, Darkplace presents itself as an 80s TV show that has only now been able to air due to the dearth of quality programming. Intercut with the episode are interviews that take place in the present day with the (fake) actors who starred in the series. These aren't as funny as the main parts of the show, but it does help mix things up. My only knock against the show is that they sometimes go overboard in faking low production values to the point where it just becomes distracting. Everyone should at least check out the first episode online and see if you like this type of humor. More Info - Wikipedia

The Lost Room - premieres December 2006
The trailer that aired during last night's Eureka premiere piqued my interest in this show that will debut later this year. Here's the blurb from the press release: "Krause plays Joe Miller, a homicide detective who discovers a key that contains unimaginable power and that is only one of several seemingly mundane objects with powers that others would do anything to possess. Elle Fanning plays Miller's daughter, who vanishes inside a motel room that is the locus of power." In addition to this information, the trailer stated that there are about 100 of these objects (examples give: a bus ticket, a pen, and a razor) that have this magical properties. From what I understood, the plot will deal with Miller collecting these objects and returning them to the motel room to rescue his daughter. I'm not completely certain of these details, but if anyone knows where the trailer is on the net please post it. Although I haven't seen much of it, the premise seems quite original and I have high hopes for this show.

Dead Like Me - every Tuesday at 7pm
This show, which aired on Showtime for two seasons before being cancelled, is now playing on the Sci-Fi Channel with back-to-back episodes once a week. The premise is that an 18 year old girl dies in a accident and, because her soul filled the quota of a grim reaper, must now act as a reaper herself. In the first two episodes, other reapers basically laid out the ground rules of being a reaper and explained to her all the details of how the process works. This show really impressed me and it will be interesting to see where it is headed. The fact that the reapers can be seen by normal humans is a nice twist, although their appearance differs from what is was when they were alive. This leads to some intriguing interactions between the protagonist and the living, especially her family members. More Info - Wikipedia

The Dresden Files - premieres January 2007
Like "The Lost Room", "The Dresden Files" also had a trailer that aired during the "Eureka" premiere, although it did not impress me as much. The blurb from Sci-Fi: "The Dresden Files pilot, written by [Hans] Beimler and [Robert] Wolfe, tells the story of Harry Dresden, a Chicago-based private detective with extraordinary abilities. Where others see typical crimes of assault, kidnapping and murder, Harry sees otherworldly forces at work. He's a wizard, the real thing, the only wizard listed in the Chicago yellow pages." This could be a hit, but I honestly don't know enough about it to have a solid opinion. The premise doesn't excite me as much as "The Lost Room", but I'll wait until I see the premiere before I pass judgment on it. More Info - Wikipedia

Eureka - every Tuesday at 9pm

The premiere of this series yesterday was not very encouraging for this show to have a long term place on Sci-Fi. The plot revolves around a U. S. marshal who discovers a secret town populated with the world's greatest scientists. Although I did not have high expectations going in, the 2 hour pilot episode was not satisfying on any level. Poor acting and a lack of humor made me want to give up on the show, but I stuck it out until the end. I'll give it another chance next week, but if I'm not impressed I probably won't be tuning in any more. More Info - Wikipedia

Who Wants to be a Superhero? - premieres July 27
Eleven people compete to become the next Stan Lee superhero. I'll probably give this show a chance, but I'm not much of a comic book fan and the concept just seems too corny for it to actually be entertaining.

The Amazing Screw-On Head - pilot episode online

From Sci-Fi's site: "In this hilarious send-up of Lovecraftian horror and steampunk adventure, President Abraham Lincoln's top spy is a bodyless head known only as Screw-On Head." I honestly didn't find anything 'hilarious' about the pilot episode. I like the concept and the art style, but the show didn't get me to laugh at all. Being a half-hour show, I might check it out again if they pick up the series, but I wouldn't count on it. More Info - Wikipedia

Not ranked by me: Night Stalker - premieres July 28
I didn't even realize this show was going to be on the Sci-Fi Channel at all until I was doing research for this post. From Wikipedia: "
The series starred Stuart Townsend as Carl Kolchak, an investigative reporter whose wife was murdered. Kolchak spends his time investigating other strange murders, believing they are linked in some way to his wife's murder." Six episodes of the series aired on ABC in 2005, but this summer all 10 episodes filmed will be shown this time around. More Info - Wikipedia

Any shows that I missed? Post them in the comments section.

1 Comments:

Blogger natalie_eve said...

I'm quite excited about the Dresden files. The books are pretty decent, and I've always thought they'd make good TV.

10:45 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home