On the consumption and creation of media.
TV * MOVIES * VIDEO GAMES * BOOKS * MUSIC * IMAGES

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Mike Nelson's Rifftrax

This is great news - Mike Nelson of Mystery Science Theater 3000 fame will be releasing audio tracks of humorous commentary, called Rifftrax, to be played on an MP3 player while you watch the DVD version of a movie. You can download the audio track from his web site (the first one is for the movie "Road House" and costs $1.99), but you have to obtain the DVD of the movie yourself. Although this track features only Nelson, he is hoping to feature others along side him in future releases. I'm definitely planning on giving this a shot if I can get a hold of "Road House" on DVD. I'll give a review of the commentary if I end up getting it - I'm hopeful, but only having one person commentating could get stale. Make sure to listen to the sample of the Rifftrax on the right side of the page.

I've heard of fans creating their own commentaries for movies but I haven't listened to any. After a quick search I found this commentary for "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" as well as this commentary community. In addition, there is a piece of software called Sharecrow which allows you to easily sync homemade commentaries with a DVD. Post any interesting commentaries that you know of in the comments section.

More Info
* Rifftrax Announcement on Lileks.com
* Rifftrax Announcement on MST3Kinfo.com
* Mike Nelson Wikipedia Entry
* MST3K Wikipedia Entry
* Road House IMDB Entry

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home