On the consumption and creation of media.
TV * MOVIES * VIDEO GAMES * BOOKS * MUSIC * IMAGES

Friday, July 21, 2006

Free Media Fridays

Every Friday, I'm going to post a collection of media (a video, a sound, an image, and a text) that are freely available to be copied and distributed. One of the great benefits of the internet lies in the ability to easily share works that are free to the public. I will try to give an idea of the license that accompanies each work, as some may have certain restrictions, but if you are planning to reuse a work you should read the full agreement provided.

Video - "Your Name Here" by Calvin Workshop
Courtesy of archive.org
License: Public Domain
One of my favorite videos on archive.org, this film aims to be "the ultimate generic industrial film". It is supposed to be a video where you can easily insert your own product and company name and just like that have a complete promotional film. I still can't believe that this was made in 1960 - they have an uncanny awareness of all the cliches during the era when these types of films were being made. I always suspected that industrial filmmakers didn't realize how corny their videos were, but I guess this video shows otherwise. It's as if they have a grab bag of tricks they can use for each movie, but for this one they just threw in everything.

Sound - "Nature Letter A" by Jesse Hammons
Courtesy of archive.org
License: Attribution-ShareAlike 1.0

A well recorded collection of nature sounds, including bugs, birds, frogs, and the ocean. It brings about a nice feeling of tranquility - I only wish the clip lasted longer.

Image - "Eggs Oranges" by mmagallan
Courtesy of stock.xchng
License: No usage restrictions
A photograph of two white eggs on an orange surface. Simple yet stunning.

Text - "Metamorphosis" by Franz Kafka
Courtesy of Project Gutenberg
Licnese: Project Gutenberg License
Honestly, I haven't read this yet myself. I remember other English classes in high school having to read this story and I always had an interest in getting around to reading it myself. Having recently watched the movie "Kafka" (review coming soon), I was reminded of this text. Hopefully this classic short story will be worth the read.

Hopefully you have discovered something new that you can share with others.

4 Comments:

Blogger Matt the Hat said...

Metamorphosis is a total must.

2:11 PM

 
Blogger fakeapassion said...

Matt - Yes, I agree. I did get a chance to read it after posting this and I really enjoyed it.

7:35 AM

 
Blogger yo4rker said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

6:08 PM

 
Blogger oldtownboys said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»

10:14 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home